Mornings always seem to feel like you have absolutely no time to do anything and you are pressed to get out of the door. If one thing messes up my routine in the morning I feel as though I need to skip a thing or two in order to still leave on time. I need to be out of the door by just after 6 am and I am sure many of you find yourselves in similar situations. By doing these 5 things to make your mornings more efficient you will save precious minutes.
When I was in nursing school I quickly realized that I needed to improve my morning routine and I still do these things today. I want to share with you what I have found to help make my mornings go a little smoother. Everyone’s circumstances are different. We all lead different lives and have different priorities. But, the best part?! They are so SIMPLE that everyone can do them! The morning is just the beginning of the day and you want to be set up for success from the start, right?
5 Things to Make Your Mornings More Efficient
Get Your Lunch Ready
1. Pack your lunch the night before. It takes 5 minutes and is the BIGGEST time saver in my opinion. Cut your fruit, make your sandwich, place your left overs into a container, put your snacks into a plastic bag…etc. I will wash and cut my fruit, place the left overs I am taking into a Tupperware container and put them in the fridge next to my yogurt or whatever other refrigerated items I am taking for lunch. Then I will gather any dry snacks, such as nuts, dried fruit, chips, fig bars…and put them in plastic bags on the counter with my lunch box. This way after I start the coffee in the morning I simply place everything into my lunch box and it’s ready to go!
Get Your Clothes Ready
2. Lay out your clothes for the morning. Check the weather. Is it going to rain? What is the temperature supposed to be? Nothing is worse than already being dressed for work and realizing it’s pouring outside and your shoes are less than waterproof.
Start Your Coffee
3. Set up your coffee the night before. If you are an morning coffee drinker doing this simple step can save you 5-10 minutes in the morning. These days almost every coffee maker comes with an automatic start option and you can set the timer to start at the time you wake up or slightly before. If you don’t drink coffee immediately after opening your eyes in the morning, you can set it for a time that allows you to pour it in a travel mug just before you head out the door.
4. Plan your breakfast. Do you have something made ahead of time? Egg white muffins or overnight oats are great breakfast options that will keep you full, but are quick and easy in the morning rush.
Do You Have Gas?
5. Get gas on your way HOME from work instead of on your way to work. This might seem like an odd, trivial thing to include in this list but it really does make a difference. We’ve all been there. Some more than others. You get into your car in the morning and realize you need to stop for gas because on your way home last night you told yourself “I’ll get it in the morning.” Except life happened between yesterday and this morning and you forgot to plan for the extra time needed to get gas on your way in. For those of you that commute, this is a big deal. There is a HUGE difference in the traffic pattern if I make it to I-78 by 6:30 instead of 6:35. I don’t know why that it is. But it’s a very real fact of traffic life.
They might seem very basic, but sometimes we just have to go back to the basics. These 5 tips can help save you precious minutes in the morning and set you up for a successful day! When you set yourself up for success early you bring positive energy to the rest of the day. And let’s face it. We can all use a little bit (or a lot) of positive energy.
Like the picture in this post? Haute Stock has great tips, tutorials and stock photos to help small bloggers (like me). Check ’em out!